[Market-farming] Market Prices and broccoli

cjmaness at juno.com cjmaness at juno.com
Tue Jun 14 08:38:39 EDT 2011

Our market is not a producer only market, but the produce does have to be be grown in Payne Co. or one of the surrounding 5 counties.

Phil, we haven't had the rain you've had. We're in a drought here. We did get nearly 2" Saturday night, but I was able to walk through the fields yesterday because it soaked in so fast.
I think it's the rain and high temps messing with your broccoli. In 2007 we had rain every day,fields flooded, and high temps. We couldn't get our broccoli to hold that year either. We haven't had that problem since.

Our broccoli has all bolted now. We did a last pick on it Friday, and temps all week were high 90's so that did it for broccoli. We still have cauliflower that looks good, and cabbage, but cauliflower is a hard sell.

I picked 2- 5 gallon buckets of okra last night. The crazy plants aren't even knee high yet and were loaded with okra. I blame the weather, like any good farmer would do!

We're picking a few tomatoes now as well. Field grown. It's crazy when you have broccoli, okra, and tomatoes sitting on the table at market.

The guy who undersells us doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't keep any records, over plants everything, and then practically gives it away, all the while bragging about how much he harvests. He doesn't wash any of his greens, or cool them. Half way through market everything is wilted and disgusting, and why people buy it is beyond me. Saturday at market it was zucchini. He had his van full of zucchini, but I didn't see many customers walking through market with his zucchini. Maybe our customers are finally learning that cheap produce isn't always a bargain.

It's always something!
Carla
Perkins OK.