[Market-farming] scape pricing

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 13 18:27:59 EDT 2011

On Jun 13, 2011, at 6:21 PM, Thomas P Hurtgen wrote:

> Rivka and others,  Thanks for the good advise on selling garlic
> scapes.  I've finished harvesting mine -- about 350.  I cut a stem of
> about 7 inches plus the bulb.  Can each "vase" full of about 100 be
> put in the walk-in cooler, maybe with a damp towel covering them?
> Thanks for any storage advise you can pass along.
>
> Tom (7B)
> Thomas P Hurtgen

I bag them (bunched or not bunched) in large vented plastic bags (such
as the ones used for 20 or 25 lb of carrots), and put them in the
cooler. They keep quite well.

If you don't have vented bags, you could poke some holes in non-vented
ones. Or the damp towel technique might work; but I wouldn't keep them
very wet.

How do you mean, "vase" full? If they've straightened out, they're
probably tough; the varieties I grow, at least, the scapes need to be
harvested while they're still curled. I can't think how I'd get the
curled ones in a vase.