[Market-farming] pricing/asparagus

moon at ceva.net moon at ceva.net
Mon Jun 13 08:39:33 EDT 2011

  One of my price guides is: if it keeps, hold on and get yr $ back.
Garlic seed on the market is $22 a#, if you order early.(fortunatly i,
and i hope you don't pay that). $10 a # for scapes is reasonable. You
deserve a 5cent raise. Your pricing may be arbitrary, but then so are
kubota parts, taxes and fuel cost. My pitch is 'eat yr veges like your
life depended on it'. After $3-400/mo health insurance payments,
there's more value in $40 for selenium rich,murcury free garlic? The
chinese have tanked our mkt w/ junk. White rot infestations on the
west coast will soon be forcing prices to rise even more. It's our job
to educate and cultivate.

  Back to Asparagus, I  raised my ph this year and Viola ! no beetles.
Asp likes 7.2+. An experienced grower once recomended shirly poppies
as a cover, yet to try. But then they are in Northern NY, dif weed
presure then the jungles of Va.
I second no buckwheat.soybeans?
  Where Pam?
Ann, Lucky moon Farm, Va,zone 7 and climbing.