[Market-farming] Red potato storage

Barking Cat Farm barkingcatfarm at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 6 15:22:45 EDT 2011

Hi Willie,

We're not expert potato growers, but we have successful stored plenty of potatoes here in NE TX for several months at a time for several seasons.  All we do is put them in lily crates (sounds similar to what you describe), stack them (making sure the potatoes are not stacked so high in each crate that the bottom of the crate on top sits on any potatoes beneath it), and store them in a dark germination shed that's kept in the 78-82 degree F range.  As long as there are no rotten potatoes in the crates to start with, they seem to keep just fine.  We've probably not stored them for 6 months, though. For that long, you might need it a little cooler.

Laurie
Barking Cat Farm