[Market-farming] shopping for new markets

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Tue Aug 2 01:48:27 EDT 2011

I've been involved in three markets so far in my fledgling farm  career.
One was marvelous but too far away, one was close but too small  and
populated by a whole lot of crafts and resellers.  One was experimental  and shut
down only half-way through its first season.  That one was run by  an
organization that has another market, same town but different day and  location,
which is actually one of our county's stronger markets (it might  actually be
the strongest).  While I was at the experimental market, I  was invited to
attend the bigger one as well.  We didn't have enough  production at that
point so I said thanks but no thanks.  With another  market season well along
and a few more lessons learned along the way, I'm  starting to mull whether I
should explore attending that larger market next  year.  It's got some
definite pro's and con's to consider, including a  number of items from the "how
to kill a market" list which circulated here not  too long ago.  But it's
also running strong and has been for a number  of years now.  So how do you
folks evaluate whether to attend any  given market?  I sure don't want to make
plans now for next year at that  market, only to end up sending an email
this time next year wailing "oh, GAWD, I  was so dumb to think this would
work!"  Wish I could find a market that  combined all the ideal conditions, but
this one might be the next best  thing.  Suggestions for how to prove out
the idea?
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA