[Market-farming] slugs

Michael Meredith meredith848 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 20 13:09:06 EDT 2009

 There has been so much rain here in Northern Virginia the last three months, more than I have ever seen.
 Many of my crops died in the ground, or were washed away.
 The slugs came out with a preference for curcurbits(my main crop), and red castor plants (for decorative dried arrangements, and beauty in the garden, costing 30 cents per seed).
 I have seeded, and re-seeded, and am going to seed again, though I may not get all my crop in now, due to the upcoming autumn.
 I just found out that pine needles, or even hay(thanks for the advice) will make an obstacle course for the slimers, and must be in close contact with the ground. I have started this with pine needles, and wonder what the minimum perimeter around each plant is. Any ideas?
  The slugs are so bad now that they completely wasted all of the sunflowers I planted for cut flowers, dried flowers, and potted plants.
  They are so bad that one slimed its way across my second story office window the other day, in broad daylight(such as it is with all this rain).
Michael