[Market-farming] CSA Broccoli Question

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 15 16:13:40 EDT 2009

The county extension agent once told me that only a fool trys to grow
broccoli or cauliflower in the mid-Atlantic in the spring. I don't
doubt that he is wrong.

I didnt' check on my several thousand plants for a couple of days and
when I did...ouch! Rows of sprays of yellow flowers and just a few
moderate sized tight heads.

It's early in the season and, assuming it is too late and too hot to
hope for cut-and-come-again side shoots,  I hate to just pull the
whole planting and pitch it.

I remember that many people like the whole brocolli plant to slice
and stir fry. I'm also wondering about blender brocolli soups

Any ideas?

Thanks - Allan in WV