[Market-farming] dealing with rye

Two Onion Farm farmer at twoonionfarm.com
Wed Jun 25 19:53:07 EDT 2008

I had good luck this spring with rye that was about 5' high.  I mowed
it twice with a brush mower (i.e. two passes) to chop it fine as
possible.  Then I was able to turn it under well with a mouldboard
plow.  The key was to chop it very fine with the mower.  Footlong
pieces of raw straw plugged up the plow.  A flail mower would
probably chop it up as well with fewer passes but I do not have one.

Chris

Chris & Juli McGuire
Two Onion Farm
www.twoonionfarm.com