[Market-farming] Blackberry Problem

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Mon Jun 2 09:18:14 EDT 2008

 On Sat, 31 May 2008 21:20:43 -0500, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> Guess I'm at a loss as to what to do.  My farm is thick with bees, but they
> don't like the berries.  I haven't seen much of anything on the blooms.  Any
> ideas?

You mentioned your hives were 50 yards away, which seems plenty close to me, but I guess if I had the option, I'd move them closer to see if it helps.

Also, are you growing anything else on the farm that blooms at the same time in large quantity? If so, and you can afford to not do so, that might be an option. But I'm just guessing.

As an experiment, you might put a flowering potted plant the bees love in the midst of the blackberries, to see if they avoid the berries even while among them. Seems unlikely. How about growing buckwheat or clover in the pathways as an attractant?

 --
 Richard Robinson
 http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/