[Market-farming] brown rot in peaches

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sun Jul 27 17:19:52 EDT 2008

On Jul 27, 2008, at 12:13 PM, Teresa Oliver wrote:

> Was wondering if anyone is struggling with brown rot in peaches this
> season?  We had some on plums earlier  - it is much worse in the
> peaches.  My question is --is it possible to wash them and store to
> ripen since they are rotting before they ripen. Do you wash them with
> anything special?  Are they safe to eat? We have a small CSA list
> where we mix vegetables, fruits and herbs and have not had this
> problem to this extent in seasons past.  I can find information about
> working on the problem itself although not this season so will try
> that - just wanted to know about other people's experiences. Thanks --
> Teresa, Sundog CSA_

My experience:

Once brown rot is visible on the fruit, they won't keep, it'll spread
through the individual fruit and also to any other fruit next to it;
but, if the fruit is ripe enough to eat, and if you process them fast
enough, the unaffected portions of each fruit are fine to eat or
freeze. "Fast enough", however, is almost immediately: within about a
day, even if refrigerated.