[Market-farming] Mulch Question and Request for Advice

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Thu Jul 3 18:02:15 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 02:42:01PM -0500, mcoldiron wrote:
> Willie, could you explain what you meant when you said "it was much easier
> to shred the prunings in windrows between the peach tree rows."  Do mean you
> ran over them with stalk shredder?

Yes, a "shredder".  AKA "bush hog", aka "mower".  It doesn't make small
pieces like a chipper, but it lowers the height of the prunings so
they do not impede traffic.  And, of course, they eventually disappear.

The primary challenge of fruit tree prunings is to get rid of them.
Nice, if you can turn them into chips and use the chips.  I've hauled
them out of the orchard and burned them in piles; one or two years I
chipped them.  Mostly, I've just shredded them in the orchard; that's
the lowest cost solution.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  201 days 10 hours 52 minutes