[Market-farming] Co-Ops

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Mon Nov 26 10:00:25 EST 2007

First of all, hello!  My name is Richard and I manage Carriage House
Farm.  I am located just outside Cincinnati, Ohio.  We are currently
in a transitional state.  We have been, for the last 150 years a
traditional and single crop farm with non-food related diversity
(such horse boarding, baling hay, and a small sawyer business) and we
are currently shifting part of our production and energies over to
larger scale produce farming.  My goal is to be certified organic in
the next three to four years and have kept fairly extensive data on
what I have done to this point.

I have been kicking around the idea of a co-ops.  I have several
ideas on how I would like to run one (or supply one) if I got
started, but I was curious if anyone had some general knowledge or
ideas they would like to share.  I am lucky enough to have a farm 20
minutes from about 1.5 million people and would like to develop some
co-op concepts around hi-density living areas, like downtown condos
and the like.

I have the hauling/delivery ability and the equipment but not the
organization or the experience with such an operation (even if its a
more traditional co-op) and I'd like to hear other people's ideas.
I'd be more than happy to go into detail about what I'd like to do,
but that might not match reality, so I was hoping to gleam some
information from some of you before I really opened my mouth.

I guess this could be considered a parallel to the current CSA thread.

Thank you!

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio