[Market-farming] sprayer type for mixed veggies, foliar feeding

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Mon Jun 11 09:53:41 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 08:55:17AM -0400, Goodwill at Homefields Farm wrote:

> We have 5 acres of mixed veggies (organic CSA) and do some spraying and
> a lot of foliar feeding.  We have outgrown out Stihl backpack mist
> blower and are looking for something better suited, and i'm wondering
> what your experience would recommend:

Many years ago, I used a 50 gallon diaphragm pump mist blower as an
orchard sprayer.  The 50 gallon capacity was not enough for the ~10
acre orchard and I replaced it with a 300 gallon diaphragm pump trailer
mist blower.  That worked well as a 10 acre orchard sprayer.

I have my vegetable fields laid out in 50 foot widths (10 5' rows in
each).  The trailer sprayer would not reliably reach the centers of the
fields.  I then got a 500 gallon Nut Hustler pecan sprayer with a
moveable volute.  That did reach to the centers of the fields and does
a fine job of spraying both peaches and vegetable.  Probably, any
blower with a directable volute would work as well on vegetables.

Now days, I rarely use the the Nut Hustler; it is just too much trouble
to get organized to do a spray job.  I now mostly use a cheap 15 gallon
electric sprayer mounted on a high clearance tractor.  Adjustable booms
allow me to spray one, two, or three rows at a time; that allows me to
spray three rows while driving over only one row.  I like the setup
because I can easily get organized to spray only one or two rows; the
capacity of the sprayer is about 12 ~500' rows.  Also, when the sprayer
gives me trouble I can easily and cheaply replace parts or the whole
thing.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  7 days  9 hours 05 minutes