[Market-farming] "organic": actual USDA regulations

New Branch Farm newbranch at ntelos.net
Wed Jul 25 15:03:04 EDT 2007

On Jul 24, 2007, at 4:01 PM, Sharon and Steve wrote:
> ....... To be certified is to be no better than the mega growers
> like Earthbound, Horizon or "Mission Organics, a supplier to Natural
> Selection Foods"( the most likely supplier of the problem sipnach)
> which I
> think I can assure you that the organic founders never had in mind.
> I think the organic founders had in mind that the consumer should
> know their
> grower, visit his farm, see his work, understand his pholisophy,
> and buy his
> product; to think that having the government list the hoops to be
> jumped
> through to gain the use of a magic word thereby imporving the diet and
> health of the nation is utter bullshud.

Hello-
I wanted to share the perspective of a small farm that is certified
organic. Our farm is 6 acres with about 1 acre currently growing
vegetables, flowers, and herbs.  The majority of the produce I sell
directly to customers at area Farmers' Markets.  I have many regular
customers and openly share how I farm. The majority of certified
organic farms I am familiar with are all small farms (15 acres or
less) and all are selling locally, directly to customers via farmers
markets or CSA’s.  They are a far cry from the large organic farms on
the west coast that wholesale to stores across the country with no
connection to the folks who buy their food.

Like many I was frustrated when organic certification became a
federal program under the USDA:  the national organic program (NOP).
I would have preferred the various certifiers to have worked together
and created a program on their own without the involvement of the
government.   However, I continue to get certified.  On our farm
website, there is a whole page devoted to organic certification and I
go into more detail about all the reasons I choose to get certified.
Here is the link if you want to see more:
http://www.newbranchfarm.com/newbranchfarm/Organic.html

It is important to remember that while the program is now federal
(the standards are written into national law and the NOP oversees
certifiers), the bulk of the certification work is done by one of the
NOP accredited certifiers and that farmers can choose which certifier
to work with.  Currently there are over 90 accredited certifiers with
the NOP and these certifiers include "for profit" companies,
"nonprofits", and state agencies.  Some only certify in one state but
several certify farms throughout the country.  Some are relatively
new to certification while others were some of the first to certify
farms in the 1970's.  Just like with farms, there are rules and a
process to become an accredited certifier.  Here is the list of
current certifiers from the NOP website: http://www.ams.usda.gov/NOP/
CertifyingAgents/Accredited.html

While all certify to the same NOP standards and are accredited by the
NOP, certifiers vary in their philosophy, experience, and fees. I
chose a certifier who is a nonprofit (Stellar Certification Services)
and has a history and understanding of organics that pre-dates the
NOP.  I found some of the “nonprofit” certifiers had lower fees than
the “for profit” certifiers.  All the paper work you submit annually
is kept with the certifier (not the USDA) and it is the certifier who
sends out the inspector and determines if you are certified based on
the NOP standards. Many of the earlier groups who were promoting the
organic movement and certifying farms long before the NOP are still
accredited certifying agents today (like the NOFAs, MOFGA, OEFFA,
CCOF, etc).

I think the decision of whether to get certified organic is a
personal decision each individual farm must make on their own.
However, as was mentioned in several earlier posts, I would also
agree that if a farm claims to use organic practices they should at
least be respectful enough to understand what organic means by
reading the NOP organic standards.  Like others, I find it
frustrating when folks claim they use organic practices or are
"beyond organic" yet when they describe their farming practices it
becomes clear they have never read the NOP standards, much less
followed them.  Thanks for letting me share my perspective.

Respectfully-
Stephanie Meyers
NEW BRANCH FARM
Charlottesville, VA