[Market-farming] Bug spray

Marcy mlynn at pcisys.net
Thu Jul 5 18:27:19 EDT 2007

I recently started using Shaklee Basic H in a sprayer for the cow while I'm milking and it really helps with the flies - which bite her legs and then she kicks and then the milk spills and then I'm mad, OR she kicks my bucket and I'm on the ground even madder!
Anyway, some friends suggested using the Basic H to keep flies away when we're dressing chickens and then I thought of using it on the cow and it really helps. We also used it last time we did chickens.
What I'm wondering is if anyone knows of any essential oils I could use along with the soap to make a spray for me and the boys that would help keep the flies, gnats and mosquitoes away while we're working in the garden - if there's a smell that would help repel them? I bought some spray last year from one of the seed catalogs to use when we were in the garden but it was outrageous for as much as we use and I don't have the old container. Guess I could check in some catalogs for ideas.
Thanks!
Marcy
SE Colorado