[Market-farming] Vegetable Weevil Larvae

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Thu Jan 4 18:16:51 EST 2007

Pam  -

Looking up "vegetable weevil" in Cranshaw's GARDEN INSECTS of NORTH
AMERICA, I get this under "other vegetable weevils":

"Feeding injury by the larva is more concentrated around the soil
surface, causing stunting and defoliation as well a boring of larger
roots."

"carrot weevil" = " The young grubs tunnel into the stalks and work
their way downward into the roots."

Carrot wevil, Vgetableweevil, "whitefringed beetle" are the 3 groups
under "Vegetable weevils" There is no indication that any of them eat
leaves.

I don't know if you were making a joke about the larva reproducing
but, of course, larvae are incapable of reproduction, unless
'parthenogenetically' is something I missed out on in bio lab.

I'd recommend that you get the flashlight tonight and spend some time
out there finding out what eats your plants. I've found worms on
tatsoi leaves at night outdoors in January, worms you'd never have
seen during the day. Of course, bt should have 'smoked' them.