[Market-farming] Seed Potatoes

pam pam at twinoaks.org
Sat Feb 17 15:11:50 EST 2007

Steve,
    Finding seed potatoes for a June planting is a challenge! The stores
say "no-one" plants them at that time. I've been in the habit of buying
them mid-April and refrigerating them for 6 weeks, then pre-sprouting
them for the first two weeks of June. This year I'm going to try
ordering them in March, after buying the ones for the March planting.
Last year I almost left it too late, and had real trouble finding any in
April. Saving your own from the previous year might be an option if
you're up above 1000' elevation. We live in  land of humidity and fungi,
and I haven't wanted to take the chance.
    Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, central Virginia