[Market-farming] Colorado Potato Beetle

pam pam at twinoaks.org
Sat Feb 17 08:36:12 EST 2007

John Drury asks about Colorado potato & flea beetles. John, where are you? Here in central Virginia we plant potatoes in March and again in mid-June. The later ones are mulched immediately after planting with spoiled hay. They have little or no trouble from CPB. I understand later plantings are more likely to have less trouble and mulched plants are "hidden from the CPB which walk in to the potato field. If you can delay the bulk of your planting till later in the season, and just have a small first planting, this might make life easier.

Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, central Virginia, zone 6b or 7