[Market-farming] selling plants

Robert Schuler sunnfarm at verizon.net
Wed Feb 14 11:38:43 EST 2007

Cell packs and trays are sold in units of 100 each. I pay $38 a case for cell packs and $42 per 100 injection moulded 1020 size trays. With bagged soil mix and seed you should be able to produce a saleable flat of hybrid tomatoes or non hybrid peppers for under $2.00 a tray or .33 cents a 6 pack. Ask first what size pack the buyer wants. I found it easier to grow tomatoes in 606 or 804 size packs because they can be held longer without growing spindly. Jiffy pots that expand when watered are too costly for bedding plant grade tomatoes and peppers... Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

I have a local feed store interested in buying veggie plants from me to
resell, he wants tomatoes and peppers mostly. Where is the best and
cheapest place to get the 6 pack containers and trays? Has anyone tried
grwing in small paper cups? How about those little things that swell
when you add water, are they economical in numbers? We have an unheated
greenhouse to start them in.

Any wisdom is welcome!

Thanks
Sheri