[Market-farming] basil

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Fri Sep 29 21:51:22 EDT 2006

On Sep 29, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Sue Wells wrote:

> Can you tell me at what low temperature basil starts dying at?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Sue Wells

32º F will kill it. It'll get pretty unhappy with any temperature in
the 30's, and is not ecstatic about the 40's either, but won't usually
actually die till frost hits it.

On Sep 29, 2006, at 8:05 PM, Kelly Saxer wrote:

> Our basil usually hangs on until the night-time temps drop down into
> the 40s
> (mid 40s is probably all that well-established basil can handle).  My
> experience is that basil doesn't really show "signs" that the temps are
> getting too low for it...instead, you just walk out one morning and
> find
> that all the basil has turned brown - that's your sign. :)
>
> Kelly
> Desert Roots Farm
> Queen Creek, AZ

Interesting. I've never had mine do this until it hits 32º, at which
point it turns black. I've usually had basil keep producing for some
time after one or more nights in the low 40's, if it warms up again
afterwards; though weather that cold does definitely slow it down.

-- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 5 mostly (where it hasn't frosted, yet;
and I don't think it will, quite, tonight either. I hope.)