[Market-farming] carrot germination

homegrownwisdom homegrownwisdom at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 19 11:36:00 EDT 2005

Hi Folks,

I planted two beds of carrots earlier this summer -- one of 'Kinbi' for a
Fall harvest and the other of 'Napoli' for our winter hoophouse harvest.
Until yesterday, we have had a drought here since mid-July. I did my best to
keep things moist for all our seeds, but evidently that was not enough,
because here we are six weeks later and very few carrots have germinated.
The part of the 'Kinbi' bed that is located under a neighbouring tree
germinated all right, indicating to me that maybe I should shade my carrot
beds when they are germinating.

I'm a complete newbie at germinating carrots (can't you tell?). I guess it's
too late to re-seed the 'Napoli' for our winter harvest. I was REALLY
looking forward to the taste of "candy carrots"!

What is your experience trying to germinate carrots when it's hot and
there's no rain? Do you give them shade? With what?

wendy & fredr'c
WinterGreens
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Zone 5