[Market-farming] Shallots

herbthyme at simcon.net herbthyme at simcon.net
Fri Sep 9 13:42:14 EDT 2005

I plant shallots and I am in zone 5...so they say! I live in Northeast Ohio.  I had some beautiful looking one's this year and I can't wait to get more in the ground.  I plant the shallots at the same time that I plant my garlic, which is in October here.  We have very cold winters and I made sure that I mulched the shallots with at least 6" of hay.  And they did beautifully.  I also mulched the garlic for the first time...but I have never done that before.  I only mulched the garlic to help with weeds and that was an awesome thing this year!  We grow 12 kinds or garlic and I don't know what kind the shallots are...but they taste great and I sold out of them in 2 weeks along with my garlic!

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh