[Market-farming] RE: Effective microorganisms

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Sun Feb 27 10:44:29 EST 2005

>Question: CAN I USE THIS MOLASSES FOR SOIL IMPROVEMENT NOW?  How should I go
>about using to improve microorganisms in my soil?

Here's the rub: much of the stock grade molasses has had additves put
in it to keep it from 'spoiling' In addition, molasses sold in the
colder seasons has additives put in it to keep it 'pourable' in the
cold.

Either of these common situations are anathema to EM microbes and
other soil microbes.

If you knew the source for your molasses, the distributor is required
by law to tell you the additives that were put in that batch. The
retailer is not, as far as I know.

I'm hosting a Effective Microorganisms workshop on April 2, outside
of Washington, DC. More info at www.gardengingforthefuture.com (and
more info here, soon)

Thanks -Allan