[Market-farming] strawberry planting

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sat Feb 12 21:53:12 EST 2005

On Feb 10, 2005, at 7:42 AM, mtlivestock wrote:

> Didn't have time or $$$ to get a section of our pasture fenced and
> ready for
> strawberries.  Could I do it this spring?  If so, what would you
> recommend
> for killing off grass/weeds. I have not used any herbicides on this
> pasture
> since 1995.  I would like to use a product okayed by organic methods,
> but I
> don't have a big budget.

Grasses are a terrible weed problem in organic strawberries. Hate to
say this, but if I were you I'd put the strawberries off for a year and
plant a succession of smother crops in there this year, starting as
early in the spring as you can: maybe an oats and field peas mix to
start, then till that in and do a round or two of buckwheat in the
summer, then maybe oats again in the fall (they'll winter kill, at
least if you're in the North, and give you winter protection but
relatively easy early spring tillage.)

(A smother crop is a cover crop that comes up fast and thick and
smothers out the weeds.)