[Market-farming] big difference between gross profit and gross profit MAR...

GreenMrkt at aol.com GreenMrkt at aol.com
Wed Feb 9 12:07:19 EST 2005

It would make sense to keep selling tomatoes.

Grocery stores have 'loss leaders' (items that are margined down but keep
customers coming to the store-like milk bread and eggs, Turkeys at Thanksgiving,
etc.) Each venture like your hypothetical farmstand needs to be assessed in
totality. Don't just read the accounting books, read marketing and customer
trend info also, in your field of endeavor and any other market that may effect
it. Consumers today are extremely sophisticated. Farmers big and small need to
be aware of the trend paths that consumers are connected to. Consumers today,
for the most part, are global thinkers. As retailers we need to be able to
speak the consumers language. Marketing is a well defined language, and there is
tons of info on the web. 'The New Farmers Market' is a book that I would
recommend that every market farmer read.

Blessings,

Karen Wallman
Green Market Farm
710 Daniel Shays Hwy.