[Market-farming] Tomatoes after tomatoes?

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Sun Oct 10 07:40:08 EDT 2004

Dear fellow farmers:

I'm stressing right now on where to plant the rye/vetch for next
year's tomato patch. I know I've heard that 'tomatoes love tomatoes'
and that tomatoes are the one plant that does well in the same soil
year after year. My tomato patch this year was in what is undoubtedly
the best place to plant tomatoes. That's the biggest thing holding me
to that spot.  I have no concerns about disease and probably even
less concern about pests.

What do you think about a tomato-tomato-tomato rotation?

We will be planting 2000 plants next season - a mixture of hybrids
and open-pollinated heirlooms

Thanks

-Allan Balliett
Shepherdstown, WV