[Market-farming] Bone meal for bulbs

miranda at tagoresmith.com miranda at tagoresmith.com
Mon Nov 1 12:29:19 EST 2004

Dear Margaret,

The Fertrell application sounds pretty good. Dig some more into the
surface of the soil just after the flowers fade in spring so that some
of the nutrients leach down into the root zone.

Bone meal DOES attract animals--my cats have always dug up a certain
number of bulbs when I used it. But currently, it's also important to
think about its origin. For awhile, I was not recommending it at all
because of the possibility, however remote, that it could be carrying
mad cow disease. If you do use it, wear latex gloves and a mask while
you are handling it.

Miranda Smith