[Market-farming] Farmer's Markets for non-food items?

Joan Vibert joan at windwalker-farm.com
Sat May 31 18:20:10 EDT 2003

Cyndi - we have a soap-maker at our market who seems to do quite well - she
doesn't come every week but I think she could and still make it worth her
while.  We are in an upscale location in mid-town Kansas city and our market
is organic so our prices are quite high.  We get a great run-out every week
and lots of enthusiasm.  Gayl (the soap maker) told me just this morning
that she had one sale today for $160.  She also does some skin care items.

I sold soap a couple of years ago at our market but don't have time anymore
to do that - but it sold well and always was a nice extra amount each week -
I think if you can produce enough you'll find its worth your while to try
it.  Folks coming to farmers' markets are looking for "safe" products, I
just had a customer tell me that today.

BTW - I was born in Petaluma and no one here had ever heard of it when I was
a kid - now its the cradle of organic food it seems -

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas