[Market-farming] Frozen meat maximum holding time

Rick Williams mrfarm at frontiernet.net
Fri Jan 31 14:53:29 EST 2003

Here is a question for those who market meat, especially beef: How long do
you feel is the longest that it is appropriate to hold frozen meat in the
freezer prior to selling?

We plan as best we can to get the right mix of ground beef/steaks/roasts,
but it is not easy. We mostly have difficulty with moving the steaks. The
ground beef is the primary product people seem to want and since we also
have some of the ground beef made into specialty brats and summer sausage,
that reduces the supply of the ground beef even more.

We recently received an order for 60 pounds of roasts so it again looks like
steaks are going to be the difficult product to market. And we no longer
sell round/cube steak as all the rounds are put into our upgraded ground
beef. So the only steaks are Sirloin, T-bone, Porterhouse, and my favorite,
Rib steak (bone in).

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm