[Market-farming] Re: child labor - wages for a 7 year, old rambelings of a mom

Del Williams delannw at dlogue.net
Thu Jan 30 04:29:05 EST 2003

"She is paid a wage in more ways that you will ever understand"

I think we're talking past each other here.  Your husband's employer pays him wages.  Your daughter sells livestock and flowers for profit.  You run a farm to be profitable.

If a child is asked to materially participate in the running of a business, wages ("compensation" as we called it in business) are in order.  That's all I'm saying.

As a parent you are providing for your child, not paying them wages.  Are you suggesting that if your daughter was not capable of working on the farm or did not want to work on the farm that you wouldn't feed her/clothe her?

Of course not.

"...she has a bed, lots of toys, fresh healthy food (that she helped to raise/grow) and her favourite clothing and a roof over her head."

Those aren't wages/compensation in any sense of the term.  Outside of the toys, those are basic needs any parent is expected to provide regardless of a child's ability or desire to even do their dumb homework.

Del Willams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL