trap crop for harlequin bugs?

Nan Johnson nan at olemiss.edu
Mon May 20 11:26:49 EDT 2002

I have small interplanted beds of Red Russian kale, two kinds of chard, buckwheat (resprouted from last summer), pac choi, cabbage and cilantro....The harlequin bugs (a big problem at my farm) are destroying the kale and cabbage and pac choi, but leaving the chard alone...

Question...should I leave the kale, etc. in to distract the bugs from my beloved chard...or pull out the kale and hope the bugs just don't like chard....

These beds are well drained and fertilized with certified organic fertilizer formulated for greens.....thanks

nan j
dancing goats farm
n. mississippi