Mulch & Potatoes

Rancho El Shadday ranchmaster at resok.com
Tue Jun 4 08:57:11 EDT 2002

Have any of you ever used paper -- newsprint -- for mulch. I've never
mulched at all so I'm in unfamiliar territory here.  Just discovered that we
kept all the unprinted newspaper used by the movers to pack our goods --
lots of it.  Also, hubby just bush hogged the back and there is a plethera
of cut grasses there.  Should I let it dry out before I use it for mulch or
can I cart it in while still fairly green?

Beans, peas, peppers and tomatoes are doing well, BUT the potatoes are
systematically wilting and drying out.  I suspected an underground varment
but when I pulled up a plant there was no root damage.  They get wilty and
brown - then die.  Any idea what I could be dealing with?

Sandra
Meeker, OK

Thanks for the help.