Speedling Trays vs. TLC Plug Flats

robert schuler sunnfarm at bellatlantic.net
Mon Oct 30 13:42:36 EST 2000

I use the 50 128 and 200 TLC trays and lettuce can be just as hard to remove, I found
the  plants with the biggest root system pulled easy no matter what cell size I use,
lettuce has a very fine root and needs more time to grow into each larger size cell it
can take two additional weeks to fill a 50 cell compaired to a 128 cell, for the
earliest planting use the smallest cell, unfortunatly waiting for a bigger root system
can over harden the seedling too much and ruin a crop, the best way to improve removal
is to soak each tray moments before transplanting the dripping wet root ball pops out
nicely.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.