Cut Worms

Miranda Smith MirandaS at creativehomeowner.com
Mon Jun 19 12:12:57 EDT 2000

Depending on your scale (for obvious reasons), carry a box of toothpicks
with you when you transplant. Poke three toothpicks around each stem of each
transplant--butted right up against the stem. For a long term control,
beneficial nematodes work well. But because you are north of their range,
you have to use them in warm weather; they won't overwinter for you. If you
can afford them, get them now and apply them. But do the toothpick trick
too; the nematodes will take awhile to exert control.

Miranda Smith