[internetworkers] AirPort/Express access problems

Jim Allman jim at ibang.com
Sun Sep 12 23:59:48 EDT 2004

On Sep 12, 2004, at 10:58 PM, Ian Meyer wrote:
> have you tried assigning yourself an IP within the block, like if it
> assigns 192.168.1.x, try setting yourself to 192.168.1.250 or
> something not likely to be taken, and see if that works?
>
> might be worth a shot

Nice. I believe I did try this (I chose a number slightly higher than
the ones I'd seen working), with no luck. I'll give it another go next
time, though.

And later, Ian Meyer wrote:
> did you get an auto-configuration address? one like 169.254.x.x?
>
> if that was the case, the card assigned itself an IP because there was
> an error getting one from the router...

Sadly, I tossed my notes on this, but the error message in the Network
prefs panel *was* something along those lines--"can't work with the
assigned IP address" or somesuch. I can't recall if it was
self-assigned, or from the router, but I believe it was consistent with
the ones I saw on the working machines nearby. That's what made me
think I was getting a "stale" or already-occupied IP address..

Thanks for the tips! Definitely food for thought next time I'm there.
(D'oh! Next time I'll also ask what *kind* of router they're using.
Answers are probably a Google away once we know that.)

   =jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/