permaculture of the ditch

Green Singer greenmansinger at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 14:19:06 EDT 2010

Simon,

I didn't realize there were other folks on the list from Varna--hi!  I live on Freese Rd., next to the 'abandoned' blue house next to the slag heap on the corner. I've noticed a large amount of coltsfoot doing well under the situation you described, as well as daylilies.  If you've already got elder, you probably have a fair amount of water, and so irises and Joe Pye weed should do well, along with other shady/swampy plants. With a little forethought, you could probably have the area flowering year-round.  Are there any other functions you'd like to fill with the space (privacy/noise screen, wildlife/animal fodder, discouraging litter with sharp pointy things, etc.)?

Cheers,
~Marvin