[corpus-paul]: rules of evidence

Steve Black sblack at axionet.com
Fri Aug 30 12:30:25 EDT 2002

>Eric Zuesse wrote:
>
>>  I shall not comment upon Mark's other objections, because they are generally
>  > of the same nature: claiming that it is acceptable to reconstruct the
>>  beginnings of Christianity on the basis of assumptions about Christian
>  > history, before one makes assumptions about the order in which the
>>  documentary evidence itself was generated. I do not deny that Mark's
>>  viewpoint is respectable among scholars; but I do assert that it is *not*
>  > respectable among scientists.

Which biblical scholars, exactly are you referring to here?? This
sweeping statement seems to maybe describe ONLY the most conservative
of biblical scholarship. No one I read
>  reconstruct[s] the
>>  beginnings of Christianity on the basis of assumptions about Christian
>  history.

I wonder how Crossan, or Theissen or Funk or Mack (and the list could
go on and on) would respond to being told that they are
reconstructing the beginnings of Xnty on the basis of assumptions
about Xn history.

This is an example where I think you risk undermining your whole
proposal because you over state your case and get caught up in your
own rhetoric.
--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

-Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS