[Chtechcomm] Quick Notes from Last Night

Terri Buckner tbuckner at ibiblio.org
Wed Aug 17 12:45:32 EDT 2005

Quick Notes: These notes are not offered in place of official meeting
minutes—only as a courtesy to those who were not present at last night’s
meeting. If anyone disagrees with what is written here or feels
something crucial has been omitted, please post your revisions (we will
not discuss them).

Called to Order: 5:30 pm

Attending: Aris, Brandon, Brian, Alan, Martha, David,Uzoma, Will,
Jeremy, Ralph, Terri
Guests: Bob, Arek, Chad Johnston

  Wireless/Municipal Network

Andrea Rohrbacher, Chair, Board of Directors, DEDC, and I agreed to call
an initial meeting toward the end of August to start discussing the
downtown wireless initiative. Representatives from UNC, CHCCS, Town of
Carrboro, DEDC and the IT committee will be included in the initial
meeting. The committee decided (by unanimous vote) to identify a
subcommittee to represent the IT Committee. Following the first
Initiative group meeting, the subcommittee will report back on the
initial scope of expectations, and the full committee will determine the
parameters of the subcommittee involvement and communication protocols.
We should all keep in mind that this committee is tasked with making
recommendations to Council on the "feasibility" of a downtown wifi
network, to include Pine Knolls and Northside.

Volunteers for the subcommittee are:

<>Jeremy Collins
Alan Polak
Brian Russell
Brandon Perkins
Terri Buckner (temporary)

If the full committee, or any subset thereof, disagrees with the
feasibility report prepared by this subcommittee, a dissenting opinion
report will be submitted to Council along with the subcommittee
recommendations.

We looked at two maps, one that delineated the boundaries of both Pine
Knolls and Northside and another of Northside only. Should UNC/CHCCS
decide to collaborate on this Initiative, Pine Knolls potentially offers
a very easy and relatively inexpensive rollout using university-owned
fiber from Lincoln Center. If, due to limitations of the Internet2
agreement and the Umstead Act, UNC is unable to participate in this
project, Bob Avery has identified four (4) government-owned structures
in the Northside area that also have the potential for quick rollout. He
and Will discussed the format (wifi v. wimax v. something else) and the
relative cost of each. The subcommittee will pursue each of these
options as well as others.

Will requested that we begin referring to the "wifi initiative" as the
"municipal network" initiative.

  Objectives and Actions Proposal

The document distributed over the weekend identifying 3 objectives and
associated actions was developed in response to last month's discussion
on committee structure and how to proceed with the strategic plans. This
document, which I agreed to draft at the July meeting, is intended to
serve as the 'cover sheet' for the three excellent strategic plans
submitted to Council in April. Since neither the Mayor nor the Town
Manager recognized those documents as strategic plans, this
non-technical document is a proposal of what could be submitted to
Council, a document they can understand and endorse, to allow us to
proceed with the work identified in the strategic plans. Although the
details of the strategic plans are not identified in this document, each
"recommendation" can be fit into one of the three objectives.

Our Council liaison has reviewed the document and feels that it is
headed in the right direction but suggested that we add in language to
help Council members understand where the three (3) initiatives they
have approved will fit in (Open Source, wifi, redistribution of used
computers).

Committee members are asked to review this document and send any
comments directly to me (tbuckner at ibiblio.org) before Monday September
12 (I just added this date--wasn't discussed last night). I will
incorporate comments and distribute a revised draft by Thursday,
September 15 for discussion at our regularly scheduled meeting on
September 20.

  Technology Planning

Our Council liaison has informed us that our (several) requests to
include the IT Committee in planning review process have been heard and
that sometime this fall, we should expect to begin receiving concept
plans. Mark didn’t have details on when this review would be formalized
or under what conditions, but we should expect to hear more about this
in September. In preparation for this enormous responsibility, the
committee will need to move immediately to begin determining standards
we might use to communicate with developers and other Town departments.
No action was taken on this item, although the level of detail for the
standards was discussed and general consensus appeared to be that the
standards should be broad and directed at future growth capacity.
Further discussion should be postponed until we have clarification from
Council.

  Electronic Meetings

The group decided not to take any action on the petition submitted to
the Town Manager on August 3. It is unknown at this time whether the
petition will be included in the agenda for the Council’s first meeting
in September. The group was split (5-5) on whether to endorse the
proposal as written. Therefore this item should be included on the
September agenda.

Adjourned: 7:05 pm