[Cc-uk] CC going mad?

David M. Berry d.berry at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 08:09:04 EDT 2005

Cory

You seem to be saying 'let's have no dissent'. I would argue that we
need a rich and critical discussion of all activities that Creative
Commons gets itself into otherwise grave mistakes (like the Bzzz
public relations fiasco) will be made. A lot of people invest a lot
of time and personal work into supporting the Creative Commons, and
when it starts to act completely authoritarian (like the Sampler
License rename http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-sampling/2004-
August/thread.html ) or even plain dumb (like this), then it is
important that it gets critical feedback from its supporters as well
as its foes.

Maybe this 'joke' works better over there than over here. I don't
know. But Creative Commons' actions I sometimes find plain
conservative and reactionary rather than progressive. The dangers
with Creative Commons, are their tacit acceptance of copyright
(indeed their *need* for it) means that it can be used as an argument
to support copyright extension rather than reject it. In other words
'copyright works, just look how CC makes the whole thing run
smoother, who needs term limitations when stuff can be licensed
anyway'. To read more of our critique see Free Software Magazine:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/current_issues/#issue_05

Anyway, it's hardly a firing squad, and hardly in a circle, as
clearly others agree with you and my remarks have generated lots of
contrary debate - always a good thing.

;-)

Cheers

David