[Cc-uk] RE: Cc-uk Digest, Vol 17, Issue 6

David M. Berry d.berry at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 13:07:58 EDT 2005

Damian,

I am rather concerned that more careful and nuanced understanding is
being lost in comments like this. I am sure that the 'creative
industries', as they call themselves, would like us to understand
that the things they sell are a form of property, but in actual fact
what they have is in reality a limited term monopoly granted by
Parliament which is part of a public bargain. This means that it
*does not* equate with physical property, and I think that teaching
this in schools is exactly the kind of backwards step away from
creativity that we should be against.

Creativity requires that we can reuse culture, and in the production
of new cultural works it is generally understood that a limited
monopoly right may be in the best interests of the creator to allow
them to have an income (but see theorists such as Terry Fisher for
alternatives). But this is a balance between a public good and a
private interest that has to be carefully managed and that we need to
always keep alert to. This monopoly right is extremely tempting (as
are all monopolies) as it can bring in untold riches by the simple
extension of ownership of a copyright or patent. Put multinational
corporations into the equation and it begins to make a great deal of
sense for them to attempt to extend copyright indefinitely in order
to make the monopoly last as long as possible and the profit to roll in.

I fear that rather than making people more knowledgeable, the current
creative industry support for this pseudo-education in schools is to
confuse the issue enough so that the difference between physical and
intellectual property becomes lost. They are distinct types of legal
right and they should remain distinct. We should be educating
children into understanding why this legal and ethical distinction is
important and why it is crucial for our democratic culture that a
vibrant cultural commons is needed so that people can use, reuse,
transform and remake culture with every new generation. Rather than,
as Lessig has said, allowing the past (or multinationals) to control
the future.

Lastly I would like to add that you are correct in your diagnosis
linking the 'consumption' of intellectual property with the copyright
regime. This is because owners seeks to restrict and emasculate the
consumer so that it would be a crime for them to make new meanings or
cultural works with copyrighted material. Creative commons and other
similar movements like open-source and libre culture seek to make the
consumer active and creative through giving them the ability to use
the works in new ways. This is a productive relationship that is
extremely important in creativity and the creative act.

– David