query re content not covered by cc license

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Thu Aug 5 20:24:45 EDT 2004

James Grimmelmann wrote:
> At 02:55 AM 8/5/2004, Marc A. Garrett wrote:
>> Also, it would be neat if I could tag an item as outside the scope of my
>> license; that way either a computer or human reading my site would know
>> how to respond.
>
> This issue is more relevant to the metadata list, so I'm cc'ing this
> thread over there.  It is an important idea and a relevant issue.

The default metadata we hand out indicates the current resource (i.e.,
the content of the current web page) is licensed.  Example:

<Work rdf:about="">
   <license rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/"/>
</Work>

This is a little bit fuzzy in cases where you have multiple "works" in a
single page.  You can help search engines by adding hints about what
sort of media the work is:

<Work rdf:about="">
   <license rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/"/>
   <dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Text" />
</Work>

If you want to explicitly denote the rights assciated with individual
images you could include statements about each:

<Work rdf:about="">
   <license rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/"/>
   <dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Text" />
</Work>
<Work rdf:about="http://example.com/foo.jpg">
   <license
rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/"/>
   <dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/StillImage" />
</Work>

If foo.jpg isn't under a CC license at all, the best I can think of
right now is to include a dc:rights statement:

<Work rdf:about="http://example.com/foo.jpg">
   <dc:rights>(c) 2004 Bob Cook</dc:rights>
   <dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/StillImage" />
</Work>

I've occasionally thought it might be useful to publish CC-style
metadata for the "all rights reserved" default copyright, and encourage
people using default copyright to link to that visibly and/or as the
object in a cc:license statement:

<Work rdf:about="http://example.com/foo.jpg">
   <cc:license rdf:resource="http://allrightsreserved.org/mineminemine"/>
   <dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/StillImage" />
</Work>

Or something like that.  I know that Lucas Gonze has some
similar/related ideas.

--
   Mike Linksvayer