[cc-licenses] CC ShareAlike: Include a requirement for source form of the work?

Cc cc at phizz.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 04:31:36 EST 2015

On 31/01/2015 10:35, Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 09:11:52 -0600 Sarah Pearson wrote:
>
> [...]
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Ben Finney <
>> bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>>

>>> What is the current state of discussion to change the ShareAlike
>>> requirements to guarantee the recipient can actually make derivative
>>> works from the corresponding source?
>>

>> Although it was raised
>> <http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2012-April/006741.html> and
>> discussed during the 4.0 process, CC ultimately decided not to add a source
>> requirement in BY-SA 4.0.
>
> I remember the outcome and I think it was an unfortunate one.

It rejected idiocy which can't be bad. When I take a photo there is 20mb
raw file to start with off with. This will normally get converted to a
tiff file as the first stage of processing, now we have 40mb of source.
Then I'll start using layers and saving in a format that supports them,
with three blending layers the TIFF file is at 100Mb. Frequently there
will be 5 or six layers used and the file will be in 150 - 200Mb or an
average of 6 images per Gb. A free flickr account with 1Tb of storage
wouldn't be sufficient to hold the number of images I have there
already. As it is with jpeg uploads flickr tells me that I've used under
0.5% of the allotted space. If a requirement is that one makes available
several Tb of data, the most likely response is going to be:
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/284/529/e65.gif

I recently took 6 minutes of HD video the resulting file is 800Mb and
I've not begun to process it yet. A family member works with
professional broadcast film and they rarely handle file packages that
are less that 100Gb.