[cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Thu Dec 29 20:41:42 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab at web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For me personally it is a huge problem that cc by-sa and GPL cannot be
> used together in a combined work. That’s why I gathered some use-cases
> for that.

Well, they can if the combined work is a collection.  They also can if
the authors of one of the works choose to dual-license it.

If the combined work is not a collection, well, that's the nature of
sharealike.  You can't create a derivative work from a CC-BY-SA work
which imposes extra restrictions.  That's not a bug, it's a feature.

> Great
> gameplay can crumble when you take away the music, and when the
> gameplay is built around a narrative, it often needs the narrative to
> realize its effect on the player. As a vicious example: What would
> Mortal Combat be without someone shouting “Finish him”?

If the music or narrative or sound effects are that connected to the
software, why are they CC-BY-SA in the first place?  Just license them
as GPL.

Unless you're saying that the music/narrative/sound effects were
written without having the software in mind, in which case I go back
to my earlier point.  You can't create a derivative work from a