[cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.name
Mon Oct 2 10:31:20 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-10 at 10:10 -0400, Greg London wrote:

> CC-ShareAlike is intended for community projects that
> need copyleft protection to prevent a proprietary
> interest from taking the project private and using that
> copy to compete against the open project.

Perhaps, Greg, if you didn't write the license and had no hand in its
creation, you should avoid ascribing any particular intention to the
authors or the licensors.

For myself, I know that, as the author many Attribution-ShareAlike works
and organizer of one of the largest Attribution-ShareAlike projects
around, my intention is to ensure that developers of derivative works
grant the same rights that they were granted. I'm not afraid of
competition if I can re-incorporate any additions back into my work.

> Software patent-banning clauses are an attempt
> to use law to outlaw code! We should allow
> software patents in GPL'ed code! Preventing
> patents prevents functionality! Prevents code!
> We must be Free to make the work Less Free
> so that we can have this patented functionality!

There are a number of projects that offer software implementing patented
techniques under the GPL. Yahoo! DomainKeys comes immediately to mind:

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

~Evan