[cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Nov 29 04:33:12 EST 2006

James Grimmelmann wrote:
> It's unfortunate every time that
> unpalatable license choices cause dissatisfied authors who want to
> encourage free redistribution to opt out of the Creative Commons
> ecosystem entirely.

Absolutely. Think how many will opt out if CC support DRM.

Freedom is about use, not the distribution of broken versions of your
work by third parties for your misperceived benefit as an author.

DRM allows pockets of "redistribution" under the control of third
parties to be sure, but it removes freedom within those pockets and
prevents the very downstream redistribution that you are claiming it
encourages. Unless the DRM achieves a monopoly, in which case we are no
longer talking about freedom.

If people have the freedom to use dual distribution *as an author* they
do not need it. If people do not have the freedom to use dual
distribution *as a consumer (sic)* they are not free anyway.

- Rob.