[cc-licenses] Creative Commons & Copyleft question?

Peter Brink peter.brink at brinkdata.se
Wed Aug 30 15:59:55 EDT 2006

drew Roberts skrev:
> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 11:45 am, Greg London wrote:
>> On 8/28/06, Charles Iliya Krempeaux <supercanadian at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And, yes I know you guys have put alot of work into defining the what you
>>> call a "derivative work" and what you call a "aggregate" in legalese.
>>> But it seems like a choice you guys made.
>> It's based on what the law says, not what we say.
>> Aggregate and collective works are legal concepts,
>> not just some choice we made.
>>
>>> To me, all "aggregates" are "derivative works".
>> And the law says otherwise.
>
> Yes, but could we not make the stipulation that they must be treated as
> derivative works if the other party wants a license without negotiation? Sort
> of what is done with the sync rights with songs and videos/movies? (Not
> saying we should or shouldn't just asking if we can or can't.)

Sure - we could do that, but that would have the side effect of making
it impossible to aggregate works licensed under different copyleft
licenses. You would not, for example, be able to create a webpage
generated by a GPL php-script, including a few CC-BY photos and
containing a CC-BY-SA text.

/Peter Brink