[cc-licenses] Creative Commons & Copyleft question?

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Tue Aug 29 05:26:08 EDT 2006

Quoting Greg London <email at greglondon.com>:

> If you want to get really extreme, one could always
> attempt to lobby for a copyleft license that requires
> that the work can only be -distributed- with copylefted
> works,

The GPL for example doesn't do this. You can distribute GPL works with non-GPL
works quite happily. IIRC this was an explicit decision on Stallman's part to
help propagate GPL software.

(GPL2 refers to this as "mere aggregation". I don't know whether "aggregation"
is a US law term or not, but the Berne Convention refers to anthologies, which
is a similar concept.)

- Rob.