[cc-licenses] Creative Commons & Copyleft question?

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 13:12:38 EDT 2006

Hello,

This is my first time posting here, so please be gentle :-)

I tried searching around for the answer to this question, but couldn't seem
to find the answer.  (Also, I asked on another mailing list, and the answer
I got to my question seemed to be "maybe".  So I thought I'd ask here to try
to get a definitive answer.)

I have a question about the Creative Commons Copyleft license.  I.e., the
BY-SA license.

First I should say that I am more familiar with the GNU GPL and the GNU LGPL
licenses.  So, I'm trying to understand how it compares to those.

What I'm wondering is, if an image or video is made copylefted by licensing
it under the Creative Commons BY-SA license, then.... if a webpage were to
embed (and NOT just simply link to) such an image or video, then would it
become copylefted too?... and, in other words, would the webpage become
licensed under the Creative Commons BY-SA license too?

If I were talking about the GNU GPL, I believe the answer would be "yes".
And if I were talking about the GNU LGPL, then I believe the answer would be
"no".  But I'm not sure what the Creative Commons BY-SA license does in this
situation.

To be honest I'd prefer if both situations existed.  I.e., if there was a
Creative Commons license that was like the GNU GPL and if there were a
Creative Commons license like the GNU LGPL, with respect to embedding.

For my particular usage, I could see a business model (a way of making a
living) established on copylefting works under a Creative Commons license
like the GNU GPL,... where one would take advantage of other's reluctance to
license their own works under the same license.

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca