[cc-devel] liblicense 0.8.1: The bugfixiest release ever

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Wed Dec 24 22:42:09 EST 2008

Howdy CC-Devel folks,

I'm greatly pleased to announce liblicense 0.8.1.  Steren and Greg found a
number of major issues (Greg found a consistent crasher on amd64, and
Steren found a consistent crasher in the Python bindings).  These issues,
among some others, are fixed by the wondrous liblicense 0.8.1.  I
mentioned to Nathan Y. that liblicense is officially "no longer ghetto".

The best way enjoy liblicense is from our Ubuntu and Debian package
repository, at http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/packages/.  More
information on what liblicense does is available at
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/liblicense .  You can also get them in
fresh Fedora 11 packages.  And from the source tarball available for
download from sourceforge.net at
<https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80503&package_id=238700&release_id=649438>.

After my sign-off on this email, you can enjoy the full ChangeLog snippet
for this release.

-- Asheesh.

P.S. Yes, Greg, we ship amd64 binaries too.

P.P.S. The test suite is now part of the Debian package build process, so
all architectures we build for will be automatically tested.

P.P.P.S. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

liblicense 0.8.1 (2008-12-24):
* Cleanups in the test suite: test_predicate_rw's path joiner finally
works
* Tarball now includes data_empty.png
* Dynamic tests and static tests treat $HOME the same way
* Fix a major issue with requesting localized informational strings,
namely that the first
   match would be returned rather than all matches (e.g., only the first
license of a number
   of matching licenses). This fixes the Python bindings, which use
localized strings.
* Add a cooked PDF example that actually works with exempi; explain why
that is not a general
   solution (not all PDFs have XMP packets, and the XMP packet cannot be
resized by libexempi)
* Add a test for writing license information to the XMP in a PNG
* Fix a typo in exempi.c
* Add basic support for storing LL_CREATOR in exempi.c
* In the case that the system locale is unset (therefore, is of value
"C"), assume English
* Fix a bug with the TagLib module: some lists were not NULL-terminated
* Use calloc() instead of malloc()+memset() in read_license.c; this
improves efficiency and
   closes a crasher on amd64
<http://code.creativecommons.org/issues/issue103>
* Improve chooser_test.c so that it is not strict as to the *order* the
results come back
   so long as they are the right licenses.
* To help diagnose possible xdg_mime errors, if we detect the hopeless
   application/octet-stream MIME type, fprintf a warning to stderr.
* Test that searching for unknown file types returns a NULL result
   rather than a segfault.

--
Your motives for doing whatever good deed you may have in mind will be
misinterpreted by somebody.