[cc-community] Flickr case: so stupid to apologize when you are right

Simone Aliprandi simone.aliprandi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 06:41:50 EST 2014

When I was a child someone taught me that if you are right you should
never apologize. So I am still trying to understand the reasons that
led the management of Flickr to publish this absurd "we are so sorry"
statement (http://blog.flickr.net/en/2014/12/18/an-update-on-flickr-wall-art/).
They where right: Flickr has decided to do a commercial use of those
pictures just because it was permitted by the Creative Commons
licenses chosen by the photographers independently and without
compulsion. In fact, when you upload a picture or an album on Flickr,
you have to set the copyright status. You can choose one of the the
six different CC licenses, and you can also keep your works under a
"full copyright", choosing the "all rights reserved" option (see
screenshot).
If a photographer is not able to read a simple and clear license, the
problem is in his brain (or maybe eyes) and not in the behavior of
Flickr. If reading the licenses is not enough to understand, people
can also read the "Creative Commons licenses" entry on Wikipedia or
the FAQ written by the CC community. In the web there is a huge amount
of clear and very simple material to learn more about these tools;
please no more excuses to say "ops, I didn't know it was like this!".
Flickr in this case has been transparent and honest. Why should they
apologize? If they apologize, they debase the value of the Creative
Commons licenses and all the activity of disclosure made in recent
years to make them known to users.
Of course, this is only my humble opinion.

[I also published a blogpost about it:
http://aliprandi.blogspot.it/2014/12/flickr-stupid-apologize-you-right.html]

Thanks, bye.
--